Egypt’s Sisi warns of ‘direct intervention’ in Libya

0
105

Egypt’s Sisi warns of ‘direct intervention’ in Libya

AFP
Forces loyal to eastern-based Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar have faced setbacks as Turkey has increased support to forces loyal to Libya’s Government of National Accord in Tripoli
Forces loyal to eastern-based Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar have faced setbacks as Turkey has increased support to forces loyal to Libya’s Government of National Accord in Tripoli (AFP Photo/Abdullah DOMA)

Cairo (AFP) – Egypt’s president warned Saturday that advances by Turkey-backed Libyan forces on the Libyan city of Sirte could prompt an Egyptian military intervention in the neighbouring country in support of Cairo’s ally Khalifa Haftar.

Meanwhile, Ankara has urged forces led by the eastern-based Haftar to withdraw from the strategic city for a ceasefire agreement to be reached.

The UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli has made major military gains against Haftar’s forces recently thanks to increased support from its backer Turkey.

The key city of Sirte, which lies some 450 kilometres (280 miles) east of the capital, is under the control of Haftar’s forces, who last year launched a recently aborted attempt to seize control of western Libya.

  • Forces loyal to eastern-based Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar have faced setbacks as Turkey has increased support to forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord in Tripoli (AFP Photo/Abdullah DOMA)

In a televised address, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said Sirte is a “red line” for Egypt, citing the need to protect its porous border as grounds for “direct intervention” in Libya.

“If the Libyan people asked us to intervene, it is a signal to the world that Egypt and Libya share … common interests, security and stability,” Sisi said on Saturday.

The GNA denounced Sisi’s warning, saying any intervention would be a threat to Libya’s security.

  • Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (C) met Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar (R) and the Libyan Parliament speaker Aguila Saleh in Cairo earlier this month (AFP Photo/-)

“We strongly reject what was said by al-Sisi and consider it a continuation of the war on the Libyan people, interference in Libyan affairs and a dangerous threat to national security,” said Mohammed Amari Zayed, a member of the GNA’s presidential council.

“There can be no ‘red line’ within our borders. We reject any bid aimed at dividing the Libyan people or their territory… (and) we categorically reject any bid to impose guardianship on Libya,” he added.

Turkey also vowed to continue supporting the GNA’s push for Sirte and demanded the evacuation of Haftar’s forces from the city for a “sustainable ceasefire.”

– Rival administrations –

Libya has been torn by violence, drawing in tribal militias, jihadists and mercenaries since the 2011 toppling and killing of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi in a Western-backed uprising.

 www.Somalihouse.com
Somalihouse1@gmail.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here