By Benjamin Muriuki For Citizen Digital
Jack Mutuma Mbabu, a Form One student whose academic dreams were nearly shattered after Starehe Boys’ Center denied him his rightful admission at the school, can now heave a sigh of relief.
The boy’s plight, which was highlighted by Citizen TV, caught the attention of the Ministry of Education and much to Mbabu’s relief, the government has secured him an admission at Mang’u High School.
Education CS Amina Mohammed on Monday said the boy, who scored 417 marks in the 2018 KCSE exam, will be admitted to Mang’u High School immediately.
“That issue has been resolved and the student who was going to Starehe has been posted to Mang’u,” said CS Amina.
The parents of the boy were on the verge of desperation after Starehe Boy’s Centre turned them away despite their son having an admission letter to the school and his name properly entered into the National Education Management Information System (NEMIS).
For over a week, the boy and his parents were forced to sleep in a hotel room in Nairobi, having travelled from their home in Isiolo.
Starehe insisted he would not be allowed to study at the institution with the administration accusing his father of behaving inappropriately and failing to meet admission procedures.
According to the school’s head of operations John Okeno, the institution established six decades ago follows its own strict procedure in admissions.
Speaking to Citizen TV on Thursday evening, Acting Centre Director Josphat Mwaura said the child had not been selected to join the school, but was merely one of 24 students that had been recommended for consideration by the ministry.
He said the school admitted 23 and left out Babu’s child after the parents failed to fill requisite forms.
He said all students joining the school must fill out the forms by July of the previous year.
Mwaura insisted that the child’s parents are not needy, but since the student has not been selected to join any other school, questions abound as to why the ministry would simply give a non-binding recommendation to join a particular school.
As the standoff persisted, the Ministry of Education took up the matter, vowing to mediate the dispute.
“It could have been a miscommunication between the parents and the school,” Nairobi Regional Coordinator in charge of education John Olootual said last week.
+252 65 9222205/063 4410656