Hargeisa (SH)-The Ministry of National planning held the second phase of the Somaliland National strategic plan of the coming five year meeting held at the Maan-soor Hotel, head of the Statistical office of the planning Ministry Mr. Hassan Abdullah Jama had enlighten to the Participants aim of this meeting and the Director General of that Mr. Abdurrasheed Ibrahim had officially open this workshop which at least 70 of Governmental institutions were schedule to anticipate.
The Director mentioned in his opening speech that it’s a very potential for the activity of the National Plan to discuss this second phase, Mr. Rasheed congratulated that it’s been reached the time of the Ministry furitable experts are in the labor Ministry those today covered the era needs for foreign to the statistics and the mapping of that planning “ today am very excited opening this second phase of our National planning five years that we have an statistical expert those today are mapping and covering the foreigners whose era facilitate” that was said the Director general.
On the other hand the Director briefed for those anticipating this Validation of the one day discussion to work hard and use each brine storm during the short hours which this training is lasting “I want to thank you again for your commitments as you came on seats early” Director remarked these alters.
- Miss Mona Abdi she is among those Ministry experts and she presented these short slides which were reflecting to these meeting objectives ““A national statistics system is a system that has a coherent body of data.
- It consists of users, producers and suppliers of data and information.
- It aims to ensure continuous co-ordination and co-operation among producers and users of official statistics in order to advance standardization, quality, consistency, comparability and use of evidence as the basis for policy choices and decision making, and avoid unnecessary and costly duplication.”
- A National Statistics System “is a coordinating framework within which the required information for development in the form of indicators is generated.
- Outputs of the National Statistics System would be indicators and databases within the context of a Management System of Statistical Information. …
- A National Statistics System is a partnership between those responsible for policy formulation and those responsible for policy implementation so that the latter know precisely what the former wish to achieve, and thereby facilitate production of relevant information to reinforce the planning cycle.”
This was part of the Mona’s presentation slides and also Mr. Hussein Abdullah Suleiman had a useful presentation slides which had a graphics and data expressed that professionally managed as applicable to understand by the Governmental institution inviters along with UNFP delegator Mr. Ahmed Mihille Whose his Agency is working with the Ministry of Planning.
- Concept of a system
- A lot of the time people may talk about and work within national statistics systems without really understanding what makes a system. Without holding and understanding to this, development of the NSS becomes questionable and sometimes contradictory. Therefore a system is a congregation of interrelated parts that work together by way of some driving process and demand creation.
- What is NSS?
- NSS comprises legal frameworks, institutional and organizational arrangements for collection, management and dissemination of official statistics. NSS comprises four main components namely, data users, data producers, data suppliers, and researchers and training institutions.
- In summary most systems share common characteristics including, structure identified and defined its parts and processes, generalization of reality, systems work in the same way (inputs and outputs), integration as well as driving force. For this purpose, the system comprises all institutions delineated to data production that work under the territory of Somaliland and without holding these organs together the system will be loose and vague.
At around 56%, the data produced by the NSS including the central statistics department is demand responsive as the above chart showed, meaning that it’s reflecting the real phenomena regarding data production in the system which needs consideration.
Somaliland Statistics Act No.60/2013
· Recognition of CSD as the Primary source of official Statistics and coordinating body of the NSS.
· Existence of some Statistical frameworks and methodologies including( compendium, CPI methodology, Sampling master frame, Data dissemination policy, GDP methodology, Survey protocol)
· Existence of Statistical Advisory Board
· Existence of MIS in some NSS
· Existence of Statistical working group
· Website Establishment Existence of National development supporting statistical development agenda
- Somaliland Statistics Act No.60/2013
- Recognition of CSD as the Primary source of official Statistics and coordinating body of the NSS.
- Existence of some Statistical frameworks and methodologies including( compendium, CPI methodology, Sampling master frame, Data dissemination policy, GDP methodology, Survey protocol)
- Existence of Statistical Advisory Board
- Existence of MIS in some NSS
- Existence of Statistical working group
- Website Establishment
- Existence of National development supporting statistical development agenda limited of statistical advocacy and awareness in public and NSS stakeholders
- Shortage of staff
- scarce of culture of professionalism in statistics
- Limited skills of data management in the NSS
- Limited ICT infrastructure development
- Limited financial resource allocated to statistics development activities
- Insufficient and obsolete equipment and office spaces in some parts of the NSS
- Low understanding of data suppliers the importance of statistics in decision making and development measurement
- Low government commitment in regard statistics development
- Poor Coordination among the NSS stakeholders
- Data gap and outdated data existence
+252 65 9222205/063 4410656